The Scoop on Cosmetic Dentistry
Advances in cosmetic dentistry have exceeded anything the dental community could have expected as early as 10 years ago. In a recent poll by People Magazine, 87% of people admitted that a smile is the first thing they noticed when meeting someone for the first time. As cosmetic dentistry becomes mainstream, thus more affordable for the public, the perfect smile that you wished for now becomes more and more of a reality. It’s no secret that celebrities have been upgrading their smiles for years. With so much of your career dependent on looks, can we blame them? However, cosmetic dentistry can do so much more than just land the right “gig”. The facts are these: we judge people by how they look. If we see someone attractive, we will give him or her an extra glance. Perhaps listen to what they have to say, when we would be in a rush otherwise. If garnering someone’s attention, even for a moment, is something you think might help your professional or personal life, then cosmetic dentistry is definitely something to consider. Stained, chipped, crooked teeth should be a thing of the past. If your image or self-confidence can use a boost, contacting our Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Park Slope, Brooklyn locations. With years of experience in cosmetic dental cases, Dr. Rimma Portman could answer any questions you may have and detail a treatment plan that is custom for you. She also has a ton of before and after pictures that you could browse through during your consultation visit. But first, some details about cosmetic dentistry.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry includes all those dental procedures that are aimed at enhancing your facial esthetics by providing you with perfectly straight and shiny white teeth. Whether you need to get rid of your tobacco or coffee stains or you want to have perfectly aligned teeth, cosmetic dentistry can fulfill all your aesthetic dreams. Let’s have a look at various services that are offered in cosmetic dentistry:
- Botox Injections – do you want to look young again by getting rid of the wrinkles around your face and neck? Botox is your best choice! While you can also get this treatment done by any beautician near you, you would certainly feel much more confident and safer while getting this treatment under the supervision of a cosmetic dentist.
- Professional Teeth Whitening – if you avoid smiling in public because of your stained teeth, then cosmetic dentistry has a solution for you. With the help of a professional teeth whitening service which is performed under the supervision of a licensed and experienced dentist. This procedure involves the application of a mild and safe bleaching agent, usually carbamide peroxide which penetrates the outer layer of the teeth and removes teeth stains. With this procedure, you can get rid of all external teeth stains such as those caused due to excessive tea and coffee drinking and tobacco.
- Teeth Straightening – poorly aligned teeth will not only create difficulties for you in chewing food properly, but will also ruin your smile. Now you can get perfectly aligned teeth with the help of Invisalign, which involves the use of a set of removable transparent aligners that are worn for most of the day. These aligners generate controlled forces that can result in movement and angulation of the teeth in the desired direction. Invisalign is a cosmetic alternative to the braces, which are not only uncomfortable to wear, but also appear unnatractive due to their metallic appearance.
- Tooth Colored Fillings – if you had cavities in your teeth that were treated with a silver filling, your cosmetic dentist can remove them and replace them with tooth colored filling material known as composite. Unlike the silver amalgam fillings which become visible every time you smile, the color and shade of the composites can be easily matched to that of your natural teeth and you won’t have to worry about making your fillings visible whenever you open your mouth for smiling or speaking.
- Porcelain Crowns– a crown is a cap like structure that is attached to the surface of prepared teeth, so as to strengthen teeth that have become weakened or to mask the effect of permanent teeth stains that cannot be removed with the help of professional teeth whitening procedures. In contrast to the metallic crowns, porcelain crowns offer an excellent blend of strength and esthetics.
- Bridges – a bridge is a fixed dental prosthesis that attaches to your natural teeth or implants on both sides and is used for the replacement of your missing teeth. In addition to providing excellent esthetics, bridges provide a durable option for the replacement of missing teeth.
- Implants – Implants are surgically placed inside the jawbone similar to your natural teeth. As a result of their firm anchorage within the bone, they provide an excellent and extremely stable anchor that is also very durable. With proper care, you can expect your implants to last a lifetime.
- Gingival Re-contouring – If you have a gummy smile, your cosmetic dentist can surgically re-contour your gums to their appropriate position. In addition, if you are not happy with the dark color of your gums, they can be made more esthetically appealing with the help of gingival bleaching.
A beautiful and attractive smile is no longer a dream, rather a reality attainable with a simple phone call. Whatever your smile goals are, with the help of an experienced cosmetic dentist, they can truly become reality in a few short visits.